Rob Rattray established the business in 1991 and is a first generation butcher. As a young boy his interest was in farming but with limited opportunity and to “fill-in-time”, took a holiday job at a local butchers shop and soon got the taste of money and there it all started. There he served his apprenticeship before moving on to manage a local butchery wholesalers where he learnt his business skills. Since opening its doors in 1991 the business has expanded and developed and Rob is now able to combine his interest and knowledge of farming with butchery to produce and select the highest quality stock for his business.
Conveniently located in the centre of Aberystwyth town, Chalybeate Street is unique in that it is a complete amalgamation of individual and privately run businesses, being a blend of coffee bars, bakers, greengrocers and health food shops, hardware, computer, fashion & gift shops and estate agents offices. We are flanked by MG’s Cafe Bar to one side and Lloyd, Herbert & Jones to the other. Everything we need on our doorstep!
“We always have, and always will, pride ourselves in holding ‘old-fashioned’ values in serving the public: this is what makes our business what you see today.”
Award winning Butchers
- 2012 Wales regional runners-up in National Butcher’s Shop of the Year Award
- 2012 Winners of the Iwan Hughes Trophy at the Royal Welsh Show for the Best Group of Three Sheep in the Blue Texel Sheep Section
- 2011 – 2012 True Taste Bronze Award: Sweet Cured Bacon
- 2011 Aberystwyth Agricultural Show: Winners of Interbreed Group of Three Championship
- 2010 Royal Welsh Show: Beltex Sheep Section Male Championship
- 2009/2010 True Taste Gold Award: Rob Rattray’s Own Boiled Ham
- 2008 Gold Great Taste Award for Lamb, Mint & Honey Sausage
- 2007/08 True Taste Commended Award : Treacle Cured Bacon
- 2007/08 True Taste Commended Award : Lamb, Mint and Honey Sausage
- 2007/08 True Taste Commended Award : Ystwyth Valley Cured Lamb
- 2007 Butcher’s Shop of the Year Award, Wales regional runners-up
- 2006/07 True Taste Commended Award : Treacle Cured Bacon
- 2006 Butcher’s Shop of the Year Award, Wales regional runners-up “ ..smallest shop in this year’s Awards and yet is big on quality.” says judge.
- 2006/07 True Taste Gold Award for Ystwyth Valley Honey Glazed Rack of Lamb and Ystwyth Valley Lamb Parcel