Pot Roast Partridge
Pot Roast Partridges cooked in smoked Paprika, Garlic and White Wine served on a Pearl Barley, Spinach and Chorizo Risotto.A flavour packed pot roast given to us by Taste of Game Chef Jose Souto
- 2 partridges
- 200 grams pearl barley
- 2 baby chorizo skinned and sliced
- 1.5 ltr game or chicken stock
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 good class white wine
- 1 tsp good quality smoked paprika
- 150 grams baby spinach
- oil to fry
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 170c/Gas mark 3 Remove the wishbones from the partridges and truss them as for roasting. Season the birds then heat some oil in a deep pan to smoking hot.
- Add the partridges and fry all over quickly to give a good colour then remove from pan. Allow oil to cool then add the onion and garlic. Sweat this for 5 minutes allowing them both to turn soft without colour.
- Add the chorizo and cook for another 2 minutes then add the smoked paprika and allow to cook for a further 2 minutes. Now add the pearl barley and stir to coat in smoked paprika oil. Add the white wine, bring to the boil and allow to reduce by half.
- In a separate pan, bring the stock to the boil, then add this to the pearl barley and bring to the boil for 3 minutes. Place the partridges on the pearl barley, cover and place in the oven at 170c/Gas mark 3 for 20 minutes or until the pearl barley is cooked and has been absorbed.
- Once cooked, remove the partridges from the pearl barley and stir in the spinach so that it wilts and mixes well. Season, serve and enjoy.