Grouse a leekie broth
A warming recipe showcasing the delicious grouse.
- 2 grouse oven ready, legs and wishbones removed
- 6 rashers streaky bacon
- 100 grams Agen prunes chopped
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 ltr very good dark game or beef stock
- 50 grams butter
- In a heavy based saucepan, sweat the leeks in half the butter without any colour. Add the grouse legs and stock and bring to a gentle simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the grouse legs and strip any meat from them and reserve.
- Rub the remaining butter on the grouse breasts and place the bacon on top of the breasts.
- Roast in a 230C° preheated oven for 10 minutes and leave to rest in a warm place for 5 minutes or so. Finely chop the bacon and add to the broth along with the prunes and parsley.
- Carve the grouse breasts from the bird and slice each breast into a bowl along with the reserved leg meat.
- Top with the broth and serve with lots of warm crusty bread.