Pigeon and asparagus
A seasonal dish perfect for a late spring day.
- 4 pigeon breasts
- 6 spears of asparagus
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 1 small bunch chives finely chopped
- 30 grams butter
- 6 new potatoes
- 300 ml double cream
- salt and pepper
- Cook the new potatoes in salted boiling water until tender and cooked through. Drain and cool the potatoes.
- Put the potatoes in a pan and heat gently with the double cream, salt, pepper, lemon juice and chopped leek. Simmer on a gentle heat for 6 minutes.
- Season the pigeon breasts with salt. Heat a different pan and melt the butter- once it begins to bubble fry the pigeon breasts for 3 minutes on each side. Allow the breasts to rest in a warm place for 3 minutes before slicing in half.
- Take the asparagus and peel the stalks then steam the asparagus for 5 minutes for thick stalks and 2 for thinner pieces.
- Assemble the potatoes, asparagus and pigeon breasts on a plate. Add the chopped chives to the cream and spoon over the cream sauce.