Pigeon and black pudding bites with cranberry sauce
A simple canape or snack using delicious wood pigeon breasts.
- 8 pigeon breasts
- 150 grams black pudding
- 16 sage leaves
- 100 grams cranberry sauce
- 50 grams butter
- vegetable oil
- salt and black pepper
- cocktail sticks
- Cut the black pudding into 1.5inch cubes and set aside. Heat a frying pan to a medium heat on the stove. When the pan is hot, season the pigeon breasts well with salt and pepper.
- Add a dash of vegetable oil to the pan and lay the pigeon breasts skin side down in the pan. Allow to cook for 3 minutes before turning and cooking for another minute. Add the butter and black pudding to the pan and cook for another 2 minutes adding the sage leaves for the last 30 seconds of cooking. Baste everything and allow the flavours to mingle.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pit the pigeon breasts on a plate to rest for 5 minutes. Slice the pigeon breasts in half or thirds if particularly plump. Spread a teaspoon of cranberry sauce onto each pigeon slice after slicing.
- To serve- skewer onto a cocktail stick a cube of black pudding with a cooked sage leave and then place on top of the pigeon slice. Serve warm with remaining cranberry sauce.