Crispy pheasant goujons with garlic mayo
Goujons are one of the easiest recipes for pheasant breasts- loved by adults and children. This recipe makes enough snacks for 6.
- 6 skinless pheasant breast
- 100 grams plain flour
- 1 tsp cajun spices
- 2 beaten eggs
- 100 ml milk
- 100 grams natural breadcrumbs
- 6 tbsp good quality mayonnaise
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 small handful flat leaf parsley
- 1 lemon
- 500 ml vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Cut each pheasant breast into 4 strips lengthways discarding any sinew. Set up ready to breadcrumb- first a tray containing the flour mixed with Cajun seasoning, then a bowl containing the egg and milk and finally a tray with the breadcrumbs.
- Carefully toss each pheasant strip into the flour mix to fully coat them followed by the egg mix and finally the breadcrumbs- ensure everything gets fully coated at each stage.
- For the mayonnaise simply mix the garlic, parsley and the lemon juice with the mayonnaise and place in a serving dish.
- Preheat a deep fat fryer to 180 degrees or carefully heat a pan of oil on the stove until it reaches this heat- test with a probe for the best results.
- When the oil is up to temperature fry the strips in batches for 3 minutes until golden on the outside and the meat is cooked through. Season the strips as they come out with salt and pepper and serve straight away with the garlic mayonnaise.