Pheasant and wild mushroom tacos
Sometimes its good to do something a bit different with pheasant breasts and wild mushrooms- this recipe shows their versatility with how they can be used perfectly in a quick cook street food style dish.
- 4 pheasant breasts
- 1 onion
- 200 grams wild mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp smoked paprika
- 200 grams red kidney beans
- 500 ml chicken stock made from a cube
- 1 lime
- 1 small bunch coriander
- 2 spring onions
- 100 grams grated mature cheddar cheese
- 12 taco shells
- rapeseed oil
- Skin and dice the pheasant breasts into 2cm pieces. Finely chop the onion and grate the garlic cloves.
- Heat 1tbsp of oil in a large frying pan and fry the pheasant breast pieces for 2 minutes. Keep stirring to stop the meat from burning. Pour a little more oil into the pan and add the chopped onion, ground cumin and smoked paprika. Cook until fragrant. Then, add the garlic and the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.
- Drain the kidney beans, rinse them in water, then crush them and add to the pan with tomato puree.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring everything back to the boil. Squeeze the juice out the lime and add to the pan with half of the chopped coriander. Taste, season if necessary, and cook for another 1 minute.
- To serve, put the mixture into taco shells and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, sliced spring onions and the remaining coriander.