Venison and chocolate casserole
Easy to buy or larder ingredients and simple to make
- 500 grams venison haunch diced
- 50 grams bacon lardons
- 2 tsp flour
- 6 tsp olive oil
- 3 banana shallots peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 4 carrots peeled and cut in half
- 1 stick of celery finely chopped
- 3 flat mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary chopped
- 700 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock
- 30 grams good quality dark chocolate
- 40 grams butter
- 2 tbsp red currant jelly
- salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 160c Gas mark 2.Pour half the olive oil into a oven proof dish, gently warm, add the bacon lardons, cook for 4 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Put the diced venison and flour into a bowl and toss well; once coated shake off any excess flour, then place the oven proof dish back on the heat and brown the venison in the pan.
- Add the rest of the oil, garlic, shallots and celery and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the carrots, mushrooms and herbs; cook for 15 minutes, add the wine and bring to the boil
- Add the beef stock, season with the salt and pepper, place the lid on the top and cook for 1 3/4 to 2 hours in the oven until the meat is tender.
- Remove from the oven and strain the meat and vegetables using a sieve, keeping the liquid.
- Put the liquid back in the pan and bring to the boil on the hob; whisk in the redcurrant jelly, butter and chocolate, then pour over the venison and vegetables and stir well.