Venison and Mushroom Stroganoff
This great recipe is from Taste of Game Chef Jose Souto. This is really tasty and quick to make.
- 600 grams venison fillet or haunch steak cut into strips
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 200 grams chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 150 ml white wine
- 1 ltr fresh venison stock or dark chicken stock
- 50 grams cocktail gherkins cut into thin strips
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 25 grams butter
- 500 ml double cream
- vegetable oil
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Pour the stock into a saucepan and allow to reduce by three quarters. Add a little oil to a frying pan and heat until smoking hot. Fry off half of the seasoned venison quickly so that it seals well but does not cook. Put the cooked meat on the side, add more oil to the pan and reheat. Seal the rest of the venison in the same way.
- Once the meat is sealed, use the same pan to melt butter and sweat off the chopped shallots and garlic until soft. Add smoked paprika, cook another 2 minutes, add the wine and reduce by two thirds. Next add the reduced stock and bring to the boil reducing by a third. Add cream and reduce to a consistency that will coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the sauce is at the right consistency, add the meat and stir well. Cook for a further 5 minutes then add the gherkins, stir, correct seasoning and serve with rice or pasta, garnishing with a little chopped parsley