Venison Larb in Little Gem Cups
Southeast Asian inspired venison dish- mince is so versatile and this dish is so quick to cook.
- 1 tbsp basmati rice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 fresh red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 lemongrass stalks tough outer leaves removed and sliced
- 2 shallots peeled and sliced
- 2 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 500 grams venison mince
- 1 small bunch chopped mint
- 1 small bunch coriander finely chopped
- 2 juiced limes
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1.5 tsp caster sugar
- 3 spring onions finely sliced
- 4 little gem lettuce
- 4 lime wedges to serve
- Toast the rice in a dry frying pan over a medium heat, shaking the pan frequently for about 6 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Grind to a coarse powder in a pestle and mortar.
- Place a wok or wide frying pan over a high heat until hot. Add the oil, chilli, lemongrass, shallots and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the venison and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until cooked.
- Add the herbs, lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, toasted rice, and two thirds of the sliced spring onions and cook for a further minute to cook off the liquid.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with some more fish sauce, lime juice or sugar as required.Separate the leaves from the lettuces and pile a spoonful of the venison mixture into each lettuce leaf. Top with the rest of the sliced spring onions, a little chopped chilli and serve with a wedge of lime and boiled Jasmine rice if required.