Fallow osso buco
An Italian classic, a real comfort dish.
- 4 fallow osso buco portions
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 2 finely chopped celery sticks
- 2 peeled and finely chopped carrots
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 0.5 bottle white wine
- 250 ml chicken stock
- flour for dredging
- salt and pepper
- butter and oil
- 1 handful chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 pack polenta
- 500 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 grams butter
- 50 grams grated parmesan cheese
- Season with salt and pepper and dredge the osso buco portions in flour.
- Melt a knob of butter and oil in a heavy pan. When hot, brown the osso buco portions for approximately 3-4 minutes, then remove and place in a roasting dish.
- Wipe the pan clean and add another knob of butter and a dollop of oil. Then add the onion, carrots, celery and oregano. Sweat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the white wine, reduce, and then add the stock, tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, thyme, and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the contents of the pan over the osso buco shanks.
- Cover with baking paper and aluminium foil and place in an oven at 130-150°C. Braise for 3 hours until the meat is tender.
- Spoon a generous helping of the polenta into a shallow bowl. Place a couple of pieces of the osso buco on top, and spoon over the reduced cooking liquids and vegetables.Garnish with finely chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Bring the stock to a boil and add dry polenta. Stir continuously with a whisk as you add the butter, cream and parmesan cheese
- Continue stirring until the polenta absorbs all the liquid and takes on the consistency of cake mix.
A fantastic Italian-style dish that traditionally uses veal shanks which are cut into inch thick slices to reveal the bone marrow. Replacing this with meat from the larger deer species provides a wonderfully flavoursome and ethical alternative. If the osso buco cut is not available, you can replace it with whole shanks or even diced casserole venison. This recipe is supplied by https://deerbox.co.uk/