Tagliata di cervo
This Italian summer favourite is perfect for a busy weekday when there is no time to stock up on ingredients.
- 400 grams Roe pave steak
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 100 grams rocket
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- parmesan shavings
- pine nuts (optional)
- Season the venison pave with salt and pepper. Fry the pave steaks in a little oil, turning every 2 minutes to colour evenly.
- After 6 minutes, remove the steaks and allow to rest for 15 minutes.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a pan, followed by the lemon juice and zest, garlic and the rosemary sprigs.
- Any juices from the resting meat can be added to the cooking liquor. As the pan cools the heat will help the flavours diffuse into the cooking liquor.
- On a serving platter, arrange the rocket. Slice the meat into thin pieces (it should still be pink, don’t worry if it’s rare) and arrange over the rocket.
- Spoon the cooking liquor over the venison and rocket. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parmesan cheese and pine nuts.
Try this one as recommended with roe deer but would work with all species. This recipe is supplied by https://deerbox.co.uk/