Everybody loves pizza- enjoy venison sausage on this delicious home cooked version.
- 2 venison sausages, sliced
- 1 ball buffalo mozzarella
- extra virgin olive oil
- parmesan shavings
- 750 grams '00' plain flour
- 1 sachet instant yeast
- 1 tbsp Maldon sea salt
- 1 jug warm water
- extra virgin olive oil
- semolina flour
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 3 finely diced banana shallots
- 1 finely chopped red chilli
- 1 large glug extra virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped rosemary sprig
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 splash white wine
- salt and pepper
- Sprinkle some flour (ideally semolina flour) on a clean worktop. Roll out the pizza base into a 12” disc.
- Spread a thin layer of the tomato sauce over the pizza base. Add some thin slices of venison sausage and mozzarella.
- Place in a hot oven at 220°C and bake for a few minutes until the base is crispy and the toppings are bubbling away.
- Once ready, place on a wooden board and slice, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with some parmesan shavings – delicious!
- Mix the flour, yeast and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add water and mix until you get a thick, paste-like consistency.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean worktop and place the dough mixture on top. Sprinkle more flour over the dough. Knead for 5-6 minutes until you have a loose but consistent dough.
- Clean the mixing bowl, pour in a big glug of olive oil, place the dough back in the bowl and pour over more oil. Cover with a cloth and place in a warm place until the dough doubles in volume.
- ‘Knock’ the dough back by pushing down into the bowl.Divide into even dough balls and place onto a tray covered in semolina flour. Sprinkle more semolina flour on top. Cover and place in fridge until needed.
- Add the oil and shallots to a pan and sweat on a medium heat without browning.
- Add the garlic, chilli and rosemary and cook for 1 minute. Add the white wine and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for around 1 hour. Season to taste.
Make the tomato sauce and dough ahead of time- this recipe is great for serving if you have a number of guests. If you don’t have venison sausages, make the pizza without it. In a side pan, cook a loin/pave of venison in a little butter with chilli, salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes and remove to rest. When the pizza is baked, slice the meat into very thin slices and use as a topping for the pizza. Serve with rocket and chilli oil. This recipe is supplied by https://deerbox.co.uk/