Nutty Rabbit Satay
Easy, quick to cook recipe for the bbq…
- bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 6 rabbit saddles
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp tumeric powder
- 2 tsp chopped fresh coriander
- juice of two lime
- 150 ml vegetable oil
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli finely chopped
- 25 grams fresh ginger grated
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 jar crunchy peanut butter
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Take the loins off the rabbit saddles and remove all sinews. Dice into large pieces.Mix together half of the chopped garlic, 1tsp coriander, 1 ½tsp cumin powder, 1 ½tsp turmeric, juice of one lime and enough oil to make a paste the thickness of single cream.
- Add the rabbit chunks and mix with the paste. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate for minimum 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- To make the sauce, sweat shallot and the rest of the garlic off in a little oil until soft. Add the red chilli and ginger and cook for another couple of minutes. Now, add the remaining cumin, turmeric and curry powder. Allow to cook on low heat for 3 to 4 minutes and add the peanut butter. Mix well, add the coconut milk, fish sauce and the remaining lime juice. Stir well and allow to cook for a further 6 to 8 minutes then keep warm.
- Take the bamboo skewers out of water and thread the rabbit onto the skewers. Cook on each side using a BBQ or griddle pan. Once cooked, remove from pan and serve with satay sauce and pitta bread.