Rabbit Caesar on toast
A smart canape that would be perfect to start a party.
- 4 rabbit loins
- 4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
- 1 small bunch fresh thyme
- 75 grams parmesan cheese half grated and half shaved into ribbons with a grater
- 6 tbsp french mustard mayonnaise
- 1 small tin anchovies
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 baguette cut into 0.5 inch thick slices
- 0.5 baby gem leaves finely chopped
- vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- First make the easy Caesar dressing. Place the mayonnaise in a mixing bowl and add the garlic, mustard, juice of 1 lemon, 4 finally chopped anchovies and the grated parmesan. Mix well and check the flavour- it may need more lemon or garlic to provide the punch.
- Preheat the grill on a medium setting and place the baguette slices on an oiled oven tray. Scatter thyme leaves on the bread and mix to make sure all bread is well coated with oil. Grill the bread on either side until golden and put to one side.
- Heat a griddle pan on a medium high heat and add a splash of vegetable oil. Fry the bacon on either side until crispy and remove from the pan. Season the rabbit loins with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan cooking for 5 minutes in total. Add the butter and thyme for the last minute of cooking and baste well to add flavour.
- Remove the loins from the pan and leave to rest pouring over the hot butter and thyme as you do so. Break the bacon into bitesize pieces when it is cool enough to handle, cut the remaining anchovies in half lengthways.
- To serve- spoon Caesar dressing on top of the toasted slice followed by a pinch of shredded gem leaves. Slice each loin into 4 pieces and place one on top of the lettuce followed by a drop more dressing, shaved parmesan, a piece of bacon and half an anchovy to garnish. Soft boiled quail eggs could be added for a more traditional Caesar garnish.