Venison sausages Venetian style
A simple Italian dish for venison sausages
- 6 venison sausages
- 1 savoy cabbage, cored and tough veins removed, finely shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 20 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- In a large pan (stainless steel or cast iron) place the finely chopped garlic, oil and mustard seeds. Warm through and simmer to infuse the ingredients for 2-3 min.
- Add the finely shredded Savoy cabbage (make sure to remove all the white, thick veins as they don't cook well and remain tough).
- Mix well and season to taste. Continue to simmer on a medium heat stirring the cabbage often as can easily burn at this stage.
- Add the water and the vinegar and cook with a lid on for at least 25 min, stirring often to prevent the cabbage sticking or burning.
- In the meantime, prick the sausages with a toothpick at random (to allow some of the juice to seep through the savoy whilst cooking as well as to prevent the sausages to break).
- When the cabbage is at least half of the original volume, add the sausages, and stew for 15 minutes until cooked. Serve piping hot with a nice dollop of mustard.
This recipe is supplied by Sara Danesin https://www.saradanesinmedio.com/